W. G. Pye Ltd diversified into domestic wireless broadcast receivers in 1925 and rapidly established a reputation for high quality equipment. In 1935 it branched into the field of television receivers which were produced until the start of World War 2, supported by the supply of cathode ray tubes from Pye Cathodeon.
During World War 2 production of domestic broadcast receivers gradually reduced as the companies in the radio industry were directed to produce electronic equipment for the armed services. In order to satisfy the public need for replacement broadcast radio receivers, manufacture of a common industry design of 'Utility Receiver' was eventually permitted. These utility receivers did not carry a manufacturers name, but only a code number on a label on the rear panel of the set. The code for such receivers made by Pye was U9.
At the end of World War 2 domestic radio and TV receiver production was again permitted and the rapid expansion of the Pye Group began with the design of new equipments and the creation and/or acquisition of other companies engaged in a wide range of equipment and components.
Other Pye Group domestic equipment manufacturers or brand names included:
...to be continued