PYE Museum Homepage The Story of Pye
1896 to
The history of the Pye Group of Companies in scientific & analytical instruments, radio & line communications, broadcasting, domestic radio & TV and industrial electronics from 1896 to the present day
The virtual museum of the Pye History Trust - Celebrating Britain’s Scientific & Industrial Heritage
W. G. Pye & Co Ltd Timeline
1896 W. G. Pye & Co was the original member of the Pye Group of companies and was founded by William George Pye for the manufacture of scientific instruments for supply to universities and schools.
1928 Pye Radio Ltd was formed to acquire the radio branch of the business from W. G. Pye and Co and separated from the instrument business.
1946 The instrument business continued as a separate business from Pye Ltd until it was acquired by Pye Ltd.
1947 Pye Ltd acquired Unicam Instruments Ltd which in 1934 had been founded by S. W. J. Stubbens, a foreman at Cambridge Instrument Co, to manufacture instruments for schools and Universities. Unicam was based in Arbury Road Cambridge. When Pye acquired Unicam Instruments Ltd it specialised in spectroscopic and crystallographic analytical instruments.
1962 Unicam Instruments Ltd and W G Pye & Company Ltd were located together in Pye’s Scientific Instrument Centre in York Street, Cambridge. However the companies continued to operate independently from each other.
1968 The two companies were merged into a single company called Pye Unicam Ltd as part of Philips Industries; Philips’s scientific division of M.E.L. Equipment Co was also put into the new company. In addition to the York Street site the optics department and technical publications were located on Newmarket Rd and the warehouse and Special Engineering Group were located at Coral Park.

    See Pye Unicam Ltd for the timeline beyond the merger the of the two companies.

  W G Pye Scientific Catalogue 1922